Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My So-Called teens



So I just recently discovered live streaming of Netflix through my Wii. I've never really used either too terribly much.






Anyhow, I decided to watch the entire season of My So-Called Life, one episode at a a time, and I must say, it brings back memories. Not just memories of watching the show (and believe me, when I was 15, I could recite the season verbatim), but memories of being awkward, and feeling invisible and like you're making everything up in your head.






I look back at pictures of myself at that age, and I looked just like Angela Chase (played by Claire Danes). Overalls, flannel shirts, obviously dyed red hair. What's interesting to me is how quickly tears came to her each episode. I would bet Claire cried an average of 3 times per 47 minute episode. It seems much harder for tears to come now, but when they do, man! I have to stay well-hydrated just to keep up. I cry now for reasons other than boys and friends. I usually just cry because I'm tired. There will be the occasional commercial that gets me, or even reading an obituary in the paper of people I've never known. Man, I'm old. I read the freaking obituraries each day? Wow.






Anyhow, I challenge anyone to watch a show they were incredibly familiar with during that changing period in their lives. I feel certain you will revert right back to where you were, but be thankful of coming out of it all alive, and hardly scarred.

No comments:

Post a Comment